Precor is a brand known and loved throughout the health and fitness category. They are known for making great fitness equipment, especially elliptical trainers, but they also make a machine called an Adaptive Motion Trainer. An AMT is an elliptical-like machine that adapts to your motion so no two workouts are the same. Precor originally created the AMT 100i, the first AMT machine which garnered rave reviews from customers and critics.
Not much has changed between the AMT 100i and the AMT 835, in fact, everything pretty much seems to be the same. The stride length is the same (0-27 inches), the product weight is the same (445 lbs), and the max weight is still the same (350 lbs).
The major difference here is the console. The console is Precor’s P30 console which is used in the 830 line of fitness equipment. It comes with an optional 15″ personal viewing screen. Between the console and the personal viewing screen, we found that shorter people might have a hard time with the viewing angles looking up at the TV screen. But those that are tall enough shouldn’t have a problem with the screen’s quality. Overall though, between the P30 console which is an LED console that shows the same basic cardio information that you’d come to expect from a $8,000+ cardio machine, not much has changed since the 100i, and again like I said before, that’s a very good thing.
Overall, the 835 is definitely a good buy, just read what some users have had to say about it:
It definitely isn’t just an elliptical, or just a stair stepper, and the movement is unique. Once you get used to it and understand how to get the workout you want, it is a great machine. One fault that this model has is the limited viewing angles of the screen, making using it unenjoyable for those of us who aren’t of average height.
I recently used one of these machines at a health club out of town and LOVED IT. My wife and I own a local gym and would like to replace our current ellipticals with these machines. They are very smooth and comfortable. It took a minute to get used to the motion but you can adjust your stride and direction with ease to create an elliptical feel, to a stepper and everything in between. It is a great machine. I can’t speak for durability nor service and installation where I have only used once but seems very stable. I currently have some precor equipment and if it is anything like them, it will last. Great product!
Bring home the exact AMT 835 used in fitness clubs worldwide. A machine as versatile as the human body and different from any other type of workout, the award-winning Precor Adaptive Motion Trainer (AMT ) is designed to not only work your body, but also your imagination. Go from short strides to long strides, walking to running, then into deep lunges, on-the-fly. The AMT gives you the freedom to create a challenging and completely unique workout every time. Touch and telemetry heart rate with Smart Rate includes 4 programs, 20 levels of resistance and is self-powered. The commercial-oriented AMT meets your most demanding workout needs and provides a challenging alternative to any exerciser looking for variety and the chance to experience freedom of movement.
By allowing you to alter your motion at the slightest whim of your imagination, no two workouts have to feel the same. This keeps your mind engaged and your body torn between wanting to experiment with new movements and needing a second to catch your breath. Choose your movement and change it as often as your heart and mind desire. Adaptive motion helps create new possibilities and rewards.
Adjustable Stride Length
Naturally adjust stride length from 0 to 27 inches to match your desired workout without the need to control settings.
Dual action provides both upper and lower body workout. Arms are engaged in pushing and pulling motion of the upper body moving handlebars to provide the ultimate in total body engagement. Contralateral arm movement ensures your arm and leg movements are coordinated to produce the most natural motion.
The pendulum-like swing of the Stride Dial helps users see stride length to determine the muscle groups being worked. As stride length changes, the Stride Dial updates real-time.
The AMT 835′s biomechanics are validated by Western Washington University Biomechanics Lab for users of all fitness levels and sizes, from the 5 percentile size female to the 95 percentile size male user. Excellent stability and freedom of movement for users of all sizes.
Bio-feedback center with SmartRate provides dedicated feedback on heart rate and calories. SmartRate shows your heart rate in relation to the target
zone for weight loss and cardio training. Heart rate monitoring and compatibility with heart rate telemetry reading using an optional chest strap.
The smooth feel of the machine is optimized by using large bearings and oversized pivot shafts.
Foot pedals with toe cups enable user to optimize muscle involvement. Two-step powder-coating process applies rust-resistant undercoat and cosmetic topcoat to steel frame.
Step on platform in the rear is polypropylene for durability. Platform enables the user to step onto the foot pedals while identifying how far the foot pedals may extend from the back of the machine.
The drink and accessories holder) is conveniently located and ideally constructed for portable music players. Integrated transport wheels for easy rolling. Side panel covers are easily removed for servicing.
- 20 resistance levels ranging from 20 watts (level 1 at 60 SPM, zero stride length) to 375 watts (level 20 at 120 SPM, max stride length)
- Resistance Levels: 1 to 20
- Minimum Watts: 20 watts
- Maximum Watts: 375 watts
- Console Type: Large LED Display
- Tap Control provides an audible click when you press a key
- Tactile dome keys
- QuickStart lets you begin workout with the push of a single button
- Motion Controls
- 10-key numeric keypad to enter data or select channels when integrated with Cardio Theater components
- Console Languages: Dutch, English, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Units Selection: Metric and U.S. Standard
- Preset Programs: Heart rate, interval, manual fat burner
- Number of Programs: 4
- 21Electronic Readouts: Resistance, distance, strides, calories, heart rate, time elapsed/time remaining, speed, and more
- Heart Rate Monitoring: Touch; handheld heart rate sensors located on fixed handlebars for increased accuracy and ease of use
- Telemetry Yes. Equipped for heart rate telemetry reading using a chest strap.
- Integrated Entertainment Options
- Integrated reading rack
- Individual visual entertainment incorporating digital technology
- Personal Viewing System: 15-inch optional screen (PVS)
- Network capabilities
- FitLinxx compatible
- Maximum User Weight: 350 pounds
- Lowest Step-up Height: 5.5 inches
- Highest Step-up Height: 18.5 inches
- Foot Pedal Dimensions: 7.5 W x 14.5 L inches (W x L)
- Minimum Space Between Foot Pedals: 4 inches
- Equipment Dimensions and Weight
- Dimensions: 74 by 28 by 69.3 inches (L x W x H); (81.8 inches tall with viewing screen enabled)
- Equipment Weight: 445 pounds
- Large LED Display, tap control provides an audible click when you press a key
- Tactile dome keys, quick start lets you begin workout with the push of a single button
- Motion controls, 10-key numeric keypad to enter data or select channels
- Integrated entertainment options, integrated reading rack, network capabilities
- Maximum user weight 350-Pounds, dimensions 74 x 28 x 69.3-Inch (length x width x height)